- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Lantic natural granulated sugar or Rogers natural granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) Rogers original or maple flavoured Syrup
- 4 cups (1 L) assorted fresh fruit, such as berries, sliced apples, peaches or plums
- Preheat the waffle iron to high. Stir the flour with the cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the oil, vanilla and egg yolks; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Slowly add the granulated sugar, while beating constantly until the peaks are firm and glossy. Fold in the vanilla.
- Stir the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Fold the egg whites into the mixture until just combined.
- Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions or until the waffles are crisp and golden brown. Hold cooked waffles in a warm oven, on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Serve immediately with Pancake Syrup and fresh fruit.
- Tip: Make this a fun dessert by topping with Rogers Pancake Syrup, whipped cream and chocolate curls.