History

Lantic Inc. came into existence after the merger of Lantic Sugar Limited and Rogers Sugar Ltd. in June 2008 which resulted in the successful establishment of Lantic Inc. today.


Lantic Sugar

Lantic Sugar has its roots in the Acadia Sugar Refining Co., a Scottish corporation, originally formed from a consolidation of three refinery operations in Nova Scotia and succeeded in 1912 by Atlantic Sugar Refineries when it built a cane sugar refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick.

St. Lawrence Sugar’s original cane refinery was built on the shores of the St. Lawrence river in 1888. Over the years, the building and processing facilities were frequently upgraded.

In 1981, Lantic Sugar began a program of diversification and rationalization that culminated in the purchase of St. Lawrence Sugar in Montreal in 1984. In 2000, Lantic consolidated its refining operations in Montreal and closed the Saint John plant. At the same time, the company reinvested in the Montreal facility, with a $120 million expansion and upgrade that doubled the plant’s capacity.


Rogers Sugar

Rogers Sugar was established in 1890 by the entrepreneurial B. T. Rogers. Recognizing the high cost of transporting refined sugar by rail from Montreal to Vancouver, Rogers seized the opportunity for the west coast to refine its own sugar. Vancouver was strategically located to access raw sugar shipments from Pacific origins and send refined sugar to Canada's western population centres. Rogers' refinery was Vancouver's first major industry not based on logging or fishing. The Vancouver refinery is an efficient, productive facility with several million dollars invested in it annually in maintenance and capital projects. Also see: History of Rogers Sugar.

Rogers' involvement in the beet sugar industry dates back to the 1930's with factories at Raymond and Picture Butte in Alberta. Rogers' Winnipeg plant operated from 1940, but was closed in 1997 as a result of restricted access to the US market. Today's remaining operation is in Taber, Alberta, built in 1950. A $40 million expansion completed in 1999 increased this plant’s capacity by 50%.


A Tradition Since 1888

Show more
1888

St. Lawrence Sugar’s original cane refinery was built in Montreal on the shores of the St. Lawrence River.

1890

Roger Sugar was established by the entrepreneurial B.T. Rogers. Recognizing the high cost of transporting refined sugar across the country by rail, Rogers seized the opportunity by building a refinery at the port of Vancouver.

1912

Atlantic Sugar Refineries build its cane sugar refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick.

1930

Rogers Sugar’s involvement in the beet sugar industry began with factories at Raymond and Picture Butte in Alberta.

1950

Rogers Sugar opens a new beet factory in Taber, Alberta.

1984

Lantic Sugar begins a program of diversification and rationalization including the purchase of St. Lawrence Sugar in Montreal.

1999

A $50 million expansion is completed at the Taber factory.

2000

Lantic consolidated its refining operations in Montreal and closed the Saint John plant. At the time, the company reinvested in the Montreal factory facility, with a $120 million expansion and upgrade that doubled the plant’s capacity.

2008

Lantic Inc. is born after the merger of Lantic Sugar Limited and Rogers Sugar Ltd. in June 2008.

2014

Lantic Inc. launched four new retail products: Agave, Stevia, Hot Chocolate and Iced Tea.

2015

Lantic Inc. celebrated 125 years of history.

2017

Lantic Inc. becomes a leader in the maple syrup industry with the acquisition of L.B. Maple Treat Corporation and Decacer.

2018 and Beyond

Proud to be your leading natural sweetener supplier.